Translate

Pages

Monday, June 24, 2019

ELEPHANT RIDE IN THEKKADY


During our recently concluded trip to Kerala, Vigyan (my son), Vidyut (my nephew) and I were taking the very hyped elephant ride in Thekkady. At a very graceful and sedate pace, the cute, little and very beautiful elephant named Lakshmi took us through a very green spice garden. In between she wanted to do the very natural thing of taking a trunkful of dust and spraying it on herself. But for this, she got a very harsh beating on her legs from her Mahout that made her cry out in pain.
Vidyut, a perceptive and sensitive young boy, said that we shouldn't be doing this kind of thing, and that all this was wrong, For me, his saying so was quite moving. I told him that it made me happy that he's grown up to understand this, and that even though there doesn't seem to be much we can do about that right at that moment, it would definitely influence his attitude and treatment towards animals in future.
To this, Vigyan (with no touch of sibling/cousin rivalry) said: "What's there? Even I understand that all this is cruel and wrong."
I was very impressed. I patted him: "Good, I am proud of you, my son."
"Yes," Vigyan said. "And that's why, on growing up, I will only do horse-riding," he finished off in style.

No comments: