My father excelled as a father.
- He allowed me to become what I had the potential to be.
- He gave me all the advices he had, good or bad, but to his best capabilities.
- He supported me materially while I needed his support.
I failed as a son.
- I left them back there in Nagpur 'to make it big in life.'
- 'I am not beside them' when they are ageing and getting afflicted with diseases.
- I have turned into a doting husband, father and a good person 'without staying a doting son.'
I am indeed a doting father, and yesterday on the Father's Day, if I related to that day, it was as a father more than as a son. And here are a few things I can say about how I plan to be a good father:
- I will allow you to become what you have the potential to be.
- I will give you the material support.
- I will always be with you morally.
- The gist of my love for you is that I will always want you to be happy, wise and successful.
- I will show my emotions to you.
- I will not pretend to you to be stronger, wiser, richer, more liberal than I actually am.
- I will not appeal to my authority to make you behave in a particular way.
- I will lead a life of my own to the last day. I will be true to myself as much as to you.
- I will not behave well just because I want you to behave well.
- I will not make my fatherhood appear as a sacrifice for you.
- I will not expect purchased gifts from you.
- I will not expect you to be by my side in my old age.
- I will feel happy when you become a good husband, father and person, because that's what you are here to be.
- I will celebrate the fact that you are an individual who is not the same as me.
All I will every expect from you is to know that I love you from the bottom of my heart. My love for you is not because I have played a role in your being born, but because I have closely observed you grow into a person from a little bundle in my arms on January 24, 2009.
Please just give this much. Please never ever doubt that I love you and want nothing else from you!